Community Infrastructure Levy

Find out what the Community Infrastructure Levy is and how it might affect your development.

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a charge which is applied on most new developments.

The money raised goes towards infrastructure projects in the district that are needed to support development. The types of infrastructure that can be funded by CIL include:

  • schools
  • transport
  • flood defences
  • health and social care facilities
  • community facilities
  • public spaces
  • open space, including play areas and parks
  • cultural and sport facilities

You can download and view the list of wholly or partially funded developments and the delivery plan:

More information about the CIL

Who has to pay a CIL

Development (including ‘permitted development’) will be liable for CIL if it:

  • involves a new build of at least 100m² gross internal area (GIA) floorspace
  • involves creating one or more properties

The landowner is normally the person who has to pay the CIL, but anyone can assume liability for payment. The payment can also be shared if there is more than one landowner.

Developments that won't have to pay a CIL

You won't be charged the levy if the development:

  • involves only change of use, conversion, or subdivision or creation of mezzanine floors in a building which has been in lawful use for at least six months in the three years before the development was permitted, and doesn't create any new build floorspace
  • is for a building that people don't normally go into, or only go in to inspect or maintain fixed plants or machinery; or
  • it's a structure which is not a building, such as pylons or wind turbines
  • is for a use which benefits from a zero or nil charge (£ / m²) as set out in our charging schedule

When you can claim exemption from the CIL

If you are extending your own property, adding an annexe to your home, or building a new property as your main residence you can claim exemption from CIL. 

You can claim whether you are doing the building work yourself or commissioning a builder to do it for you.

You must submit a CIL exemption claim form and have it agreed before starting any work on site. 

If you don't submit an exemption form and start the work, you might lose your chance to claim it later.

GOV.UK has more information on who is exempt from paying a CIL.

How much the CIL is

The amount of levy you pay is based on which CIL charging zone the development is in and pounds per square metre (£ / m²) on the net additional increase in floorspace.

You might want to see some examples of how CIL is calculated:

See the Community Infrastructure Levy charging schedule

In some circumstances you might be able to pay the levy in instalments or make what's known as a 'payment in kind'. You can read through this policy:

What you need to do

You must submit a CIL additional information form with your planning application. There are guidance notes to help you complete the levy form on the Planning Portal.

The payment will be due when work starts on the development. We'll tell you how to pay when this happens.