Claim council tax support

How to claim council tax support, the documents you need, and what happens after you apply.

Anyone can apply for help with council tax but you will only get help if you have a low income.

Universal Credit doesn't cover council tax so you'll need to make a separate claim for support. 

You can ask for your claim to be backdated by up to three months. If you want to do this you'll need to provide evidence when you apply showing your income and personal circumstances during the period you want it backdated to.

As you go through the claim form, we'll tell you what documents you need to give us and how you can do this. You can also see documents you might need for a claim before you apply.

Make a claim for council tax support

You can find out how we award: