Council tax support for pension age people

Pension age means anyone who has reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit.

If you are pension age, council tax support can cover the whole of your council tax bill, depending on your income and household circumstances.

How we work out how much you'll get

If you are pension age and get a working age benefit; for example, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, you will be treated as working age applicant and the support won't cover the whole bill.

If you have savings of more than £10,000, we will take into account £1 per week for every £500 over £10,000.

If you have savings of more than £16,000, you can't normally get council tax support (unless you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit).

When you apply you need to provide evidence of your circumstances so we can decide what you're entitled to. You can also apply for housing benefit at the same time if you have to pay rent.

If your circumstances change

You need to tell us straight away if your circumstances change.

If your household income goes up or down slightly, it might not affect the amount of council tax support you get.

Extra help towards your council tax

If you get council tax support but still can’t afford to pay your council tax, you can apply for an exceptional hardship award.

An award is not guaranteed, and is looked at based on your individual circumstances. If your application is successful then you will get extra help based on your individual needs.

This will not be forever - you will need to work with us and other agencies to get help and support to improve your financial position.

We recognise the importance of protecting our most vulnerable customers. This fund is in place to make sure that we protect and support those most in need.

The Exceptional Hardship Policy fund helps in cases of exceptional financial hardship.