Claim Universal Credit

See if you can make a claim for Universal Credit, the documents you need, and what happens after you apply.

In most cases you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of housing benefit, unless:

  • you are of state pension age
  • you're in a property where the landlord is: a housing association, a registered charity, a not-for-profit voluntary organisation, an English non-metropolitan county council, a local authority hostel or a domestic violence refuge. You must also be getting 'more than minimal care' from either the landlord or someone on their behalf under this category
  • you're in temporary accommodation provided by our Housing Options team.

You need to apply for Universal Credit online at GOV.UK. You can create an account with them to make your claim. If you live with your partner, you will both need to create accounts which will be linked together. You cannot claim by yourself.

When you start a claim you must complete it within 28 days of creating your account or you'll have to start again.

You can see what documents you need before making a claim.

Make a claim for Universal Credit

What happens after you make a claim

You'll hear about the outcome directly from GOV.UK. You must tell them about any changes to your circumstances.