Contact us

Did you know...

You can apply or pay for services and find information on this website quickly and easily. You'll get a faster response as it'll go to the right team and a copy of your request will be sent to your email.

Use the search bar at the top of the site or the menu to find what you need.

Got a question?

What is a House in Multiple Occupation?

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property let to at least three tenants who form two or more 'households' and who share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen. You can find out more online.

Find out more about HMOs

Do I need a licence for a House in Multiple Occupation?

You’ll need a licence if you’re renting out a large House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). This means five or more people live there and share kitchens or bathrooms. The quickest way to check is online.

See if you need an HMO licence

How do I apply for a House in Multiple Occupation licence?

It’s easy to apply online for a licence. You’ll just need your debit or credit card and copies of your HMO documents.

Apply for an HMO licence

Can't find what you want online?

Send us a message

If you can' t find what you need you can contact us online and we'll respond within 14 days.

Give us a call

Call the housing team on 01227 862 142 . Our phone lines are open between 8.45am to 5pm, during the week (excluding public holidays), and closed at weekends.

Visit the council

The council offices are open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 2pm. You'll need to call 01227 862 000 to book to see someone during these times.

Canterbury City Council
Military Road

Get directions

Make a complaint to the council

If you've not had good service from us you can make a complaint online so that we can put it right and stop it from happening again.

Find out more about our complaints procedure.