Give notice to end your tenancy

How to give notice

How much notice you need to give depends on your circumstances and the type of property you're moving into.

Moving into private accommodation or a council home not nominated by us

If you are:

  • moving to private accommodation
  • moving in with family or friends
  • moving to another council or housing association home (not nominated by us), or
  • moving to another council area by bidding on their houses

then you must give four weeks' notice in writing. This must start on a Monday; so for example, if you give notice on Monday 1 January, your tenancy would end on Monday 29 January. 

Moving to a council home nominated by us

If you are transferring to another council home we own, you don't need to give us four weeks' notice, but please give as much notice as possible. Your tenancy will end on the day you return your keys.

Moving into residential care or sheltered housing

If you are going into residential care or moving to sheltered housing, you will need to give us 28 days’ notice. 

If a tenant has died

If the tenant was the only person living in the house, you should let us know as soon as possible that it is going to be returned, and give us a copy of the death certificate.

If a joint tenant or a family member has been living there, and want to stay, they should find out about taking over a property if the tenant has died.

Any payments of housing benefit or Universal Credit the tenant got will stop after the first Monday following their death, and full rent will be charged to the account.

Named executors of the will

If you are a named executor in the tenant's will, we will end the tenancy as quickly as we can when you have cleared the house and returned the keys.

No will or not a named executor

If the tenant did not have a will or you are not a named executor, we may need to serve notice on the house ourselves to formally end the tenancy. 

Give notice to end a tenancy