Change the use of a property to an HMO

See if you need planning permission for an HMO.

If you want to change the use of a property to an HMO then you should check to see if the property is an HMO Article 4 direction area.

If it is, then you need planning permission to change the use of a house from a 'C3 dwelling house' to a 'C4 HMO' where between three and six unrelated people share a kitchen and or bathroom.

Apply for planning permission

We strongly recommend that you hire a planning consultant to create and submit a planning application on your behalf.

Planning applications that are submitted with the help of a professional have a higher success rate.

Apply for planning permission

Once you have planning permission you'll also need to find out if you need an HMO licence.