Pay a benefit overpayment

Options for you to pay your benefit overpayment.

If you’ve had too much housing benefit, we will write to you and ask you to pay back the amount we have overpaid. Overpayments often happen if you don't let us know about a change in your circumstances - for example, a change in income. 

If you told us about a change and we didn't act on it, we won't automatically ask you to pay it back, it will depend on the circumstances.

Pay online

You will need your six digit invoice number and debit or credit card details. 

Pay your benefit overpayment

Pay by phone

To make a credit or debit card payment over the phone you can call us on 01227 862 392. 

You will need your six digit invoice number and your debit or credit card details.

Pay by standing order

You can set up monthly instalments from your bank account to ours via standing order.

You will need the following details to complete the standing order form at your bank:

  • National Westminster Bank PLC
  • Bank sort code: 62-13-48 
  • Bank account number: 00000000
  • Reference number: please use 22 followed by your invoice number, or 11 followed by your housing benefit reference number if you don't have an invoice 
  • Payee: Canterbury City Council head office collection account

Pay at the Post Office or at a PayPoint

If you have a housing benefit overpayment card you can pay at your local Post Office or PayPoint.