What you need to run an event

Find out what you need for your event and when you need it.

Insurance and event management plans

All public events must have Public Liability Insurance cover of at least £5 million. You can upload your insurance certificate with your application.

If your event will have more than 500 people attending or involve risky activities - like open water activities or rides - you'll also need to provide an event management plan and a risk assessment. Uploading these when you apply will speed up your application.

You can download and complete the event risk assessments and management templates:


If your event will have live entertainment or you'll be serving alcohol or food then you will need a licence.

For events with less than 500 people you'll need a Temporary Events Notice, and for events with more than 500 people you'll need a premises licence if the site or venue doesn't already have one. 

You need to apply for the licence after we've approved your event. How much the licence costs depends on the event.

Road closures

If you think you'll need to close a road or pathway for your event to be safe then you'll need to apply for a road closure from Kent County Council after you've submitted your event application to us.

Site cleaning

You're responsible for making sure that no rubbish is left behind after your event. You can hire help from us for your event, including:

  • site cleaning hire
  • hire of litter picking equipment
  • litter picking bags

Once your event has been approved you can contact us to arrange cleaning.