Give us your views on the draft Local Plan

We have prepared a draft Local Plan for the district and want to know what you think - give us your views on the draft Local Plan and supporting strategies.

Pavement licences

Apply for a pavement licence

A pavement licence allows businesses to place removable furniture on the pavement. This could be to:

  • sell or serve food or drink
  • provide an area for consuming food or drink purchased from the premises

Before applying you should read the Canterbury City Council Pavement Licensing Policy

On the day you apply for a pavement licence you must complete the Site Notice Template. You need to display this at your premises so it's clearly visible to the public. We will ask for photos of this as part of the application.

We have 14 days, from the day after a valid application is submitted, to consult on and determine the application.

Apply for a pavement licence

Eligibility for a pavement licence

A business which sells food or drink for consumption on or off the premises can apply for a pavement licence.

This includes:

  • public houses
  • cafes
  • bars
  • restaurants
  • snack bars
  • coffee shops
  • ice cream parlours