Contact us

Did you know...

You can apply or pay for services and find information on this website quickly and easily. You'll get a faster response as it'll go to the right team and a copy of your request will be sent to your email.

Use the search bar at the top of the site or the menu to find what you need.

Got a question?

I want to sell goods on the high street - do I need a licence?

Yes, you’ll need a street trading licence. It gives you permission for a certain pitch and the days and times you can sell.

Apply for a street trading licence

Do I need a licence to busk?

No, you don’t need a licence to busk. You do need to follow our guidelines, which include things like not blocking doorways or pavements, letting local businesses know and not using amplifiers after 9pm.

See the guide on busking in the district

How can I register a food business?

It’s easy to register your business online at GOV.UK. Make sure you register at least 28 days before trading.

Register a food business

Do I need a licence for boats or punts?

You’ll usually need a licence to hire out or carry passengers on a boat, punt or canoe. The type of licence you need depends on the activities you want to do.

Apply for a commercial rivercraft licence

How can I apply for a tattooing or skin piercing licence?

You need a skin piercing and treatment licence if you want to carry out tattooing, skin piercing, acupuncture or electrolysis. It’s easy to apply online.

Apply for a skin piercing or treatment licence

How can I apply for a scrap metal licence?

You need a site licence for any site you want to use for scrap metal dealing. If you want to operate as a mobile business you’ll need a collectors licence.

Apply for a scrap metal licence

How can I apply for an animal business licence?

There are different licences depending on what you want to do, including animal boarding, dog breeding, zoos or horse riding. It’s easy to apply online.

Apply for an animal licence

What do I need a pavement licence for?

You need a pavement licence if you want to have removable furniture outside your business to sell food or drink or for customers to consume food or drink from the business. It’s easy to apply online.

Apply for a pavement licence

How do I apply for a pavement licence?

Use our simple online form. It’ll take around five minutes to apply and you’ll need a debit or credit card and a few details about your business.

Apply for a pavement licence

Can I see existing pavement licences?

Yes - you can easily see approved and rejected applications online, as well as applications open for consultation.

View or comment on pavement licence applications

Can't find what you want online?

Send us a message

If you can' t find what you need you can contact us online and we'll respond within 14 days.

Give us a call

Call the licensing team on 01227 862 000 . Our phone lines are open between 8.45am to 5pm, during the week (excluding public holidays), and closed at weekends.

Visit the council

The council offices are open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 2pm. You'll need to call 01227 862 000 to book to see someone during these times.

Canterbury City Council
Military Road

Get directions

Make a complaint to the council

If you've not had good service from us you can make a complaint online so that we can put it right and stop it from happening again.

Find out more about our complaints procedure.